Google has just officially announced Android L. It previously gave a broad introduction of the new operation system which has over 5.000 new API’s at Google I/O (its annual conference) but the company has just released new information about the release date of the OS and when it will go out of beta.
Android Lollipop 5.0 Release Date
Of course the thing we care about most is the release date of worlds most popular new operation system. There will be different dates for different devices so lets take a look at some dates you should definitely mark in your calendar and put a notification on for:
- October 17: At time of publishing this article, October 17 is just a few days away. On October 17 Google will release the APK of Android L (Lollipop) 5.0
- November 3rd: On November 3rd the new Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 will become available, these devices come with Android L pre-installed. Both the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 are Google’s new devices, with the Nexus 6 being Google’s most expensive Nexus device yet
- Late October: No exact date has been given by Google but the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013) and Nexus 10 will get Android Lollipop 5.0 in the “upcoming weeks” which matches the previously rumored release date.
Its Official: The Nexus 4 will get Android Lollipop
Shortly after the announcement of Android Lollipop Google made a statement also confirming the release of Android L on the Nexus 4. While many rumors previously indicated that Google would drop support for the Nexus 4 according to Sascha Pruter (Google employee) there is nothing to worry about. Source
Mayor Changes and New Features you will Get with Android Lollipop
Talking about when your device can get the latest update is interesting and all but what does the update actually include? There are many many changes in Android L and the ones mentioned bellow are just a few:
- Material Design
- Support for 64-bit
- ART will replace Dalvik as run time (learn more about ART and Dalvik)
- Improved battery management system
- New Notification system.
You can check out a list of more changes and new features coming to L here