Motorola is the first manufacturer to release Google’s latest version of Android (Android 5.0 Lollipop) for its smartphones in particular, the Moto X (even before the Nexus 5). The update can be installed OTA or manually and is now available for anyone that has a Moto X, other devices like the Moto E will have to wait a little longer before it becomes available, you can check out a full list of ETA for Android 5.0 here.
The update we are about to install is the same OTA that Motorola send out to beta testers and is meant to be installed on the “pure edition Moto X” having a rooted device isn’t needed. However, it is important that you device runs on stock software, if you aren’t you can download the stock images here
How to install Android 5.0 Lollipop Moto X
- As we mentioned previously, you must be running stock firmware for this to work.
- Download the Android 5.0 Lollipop update for Moto X (build number: 21.21.42 ) with MD5:5f76ad68f20d1beadfdcb4c591e45cd0
- reboot your Moto X into stock recovery (hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time)
- Connect your Moto X to your computer via USB
- proceed to run the following command in your terminal: adb sideload OTAfilename.zip
- Once this has been done, the installation process will automatically start.
Remember, this isn’t the final version that will be send out to users eventually as it is meant for beta testers but we don’t expect any mayor changes to happen from the beta to final version (mainly some small bug fixes)
Hello, my name is Niels Bosch
and i am the founder of AmongTech. Currently living in the South of Spain. My main interests are web development, playing video games once in a while, Apple, Marketing and SEO. I am currently studying Business administration, Networking & Security and Database management and will be doing so for the next year.