So you made a mistake, you rooted your Android device and voided the warranty, now of course you want to undo it. The good news is that unrooting your Android device is actually easier then rooting it. There are several methods (one more complicated then the other) but we are going to take a look at the easiest one and a little more complex one, each one of them will restore your device to its original firmware (this means that it will also uninstall any custom ROM currently installed)
How to unroot Android without using a computer with SuperSu
This method is the one we recommend using and is incredibly easy since it only requires you to install a simple app, that is something you have done before, right? Ok, so lets start.
- Head over to the Play Store and download and install on your device the SuperSu app
- Launch the freshly installed app
- Navigate to Settings
- Look for the “Full Unroot” option
- After successfully unrooting your device the app will close
- Make sure to reboot your phone
- You can now uninstall the app if you wish
Unroot your device using a File Explorer
This method is a little more complicated since it consist in manually deleting all the files the SuperSu app deletes automatically. This is handy if our first method didn’t work for you (this does happen frequently). Here is how to:
- For this we are going to use a File Explorer, you can head over to the Play Store and download it.
- Fire up the app
- Select “Tools” and then “Root Explorer” (if it asks for privileges, allow it)
- Go to system > bin
- Find the busybox and su file and delete both of them
- open ‘xbin’ folder
- Then delete the busybox and su file there too
- Now go back to the system folder
- open ‘app’ folder and then delete the supeuser.apk file
Once done, this will unroot your device. Before we are done also make sure to reboot your device. If you already regret unrooting it, you can follow our how to root Android 5.0 lollipop or find out what the Best custom Android ROM is.
Hello, my name is Niels Bosch
and i am the founder of AmongTech. Currently living in the South of Spain. My main interests are web development, playing video games once in a while, Apple, Marketing and SEO. I am currently studying Business administration, Networking & Security and Database management and will be doing so for the next year.