Experiencing the “update package missing system.img error”? Don’t worry, you are not alone as many users are getting the system.img error message after flashing Android 5.0 Lollipop onto their device (you can check out our guide here).
The error message is caused by a broken Batch script found in 5.0 and happens when it fails to install the factory image and then proceeds to show the following error message: “error: update package missing system.img”.
How to Fix System.img Error when Flashing Android 5.0 Lollipop
For this, we are going to have to flash the files manually on your Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Nexus 6 or Nexus 9 by following these steps you should be able to fix the error message:
- extract the Factory Image .zip file into a new folder
- Look for the image-xxx-xxx.zip and extract it
- Once extracted, the following files should be there (check to make sure they are): boot.img, cache.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img and system.img
- From the file extracted in Step 1, look for the “Bootloader.img” and “Radio.img” file and drag them into the same folder you extracted Step 3 in.
- Download ADB and Fastboot.zip
- Extract the files and put them in the same folder as Step 3
- Shift + Right click on any empty white space inside the folder and then “Open new Command window”
- Run the following commands (copy and paste the bootloader.img file name from Step 3): fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-NAMEOFYOURDEVICE.img
- Copy and paste the Radio.img file name copied in step 4: fastboot flash radio radio-NAMEOFYOURDEVICE.img
- fastboot reboot-bootloader
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
- Once done, to reboot your device run fastboot reboot your device will reboot in Android 5.0 Lollipop and the message should dissapear