You might be thinking about upgrade to Android’s latest version 4.4.4, but what about the data on your rooted smartphone? Many times, in order to ensure that your upgrade is successful you will have to wipe all of the data on your device, even though we have several guides on How to do so successfully it can still be quiet a pain. Here is how to upgrade without losing all of your data:
- First, we are going to download the latest factory image from the official Google website, here
- On your PC, download WugFresh
- Once wugfresh is installed, make sure to go to the options menu at the top, then go to the Flash Stock tab. Enable the No Wipe mode, and then apply.
- Connect your device to your PC
- Click on the flash stock/unroot button
- This will make sure you are running stock android and unroot your device
- Once done and you are back at the homescreen again, Click on the Flash Stock/Unroot button again, but this time, select the option for already downloaded/manually select the file.
- Select the factory image .tgz file downloaded in step 1
- A pop-up will appear asking you for the md5 checksum this can be found on the website in step 1
- your device will reboot several times during the process (don’t touch it, let the program do its thing) once done, you will be back at your lock screen
- (Optional) If you want to re-root your device, this can also be done from WugFresh and since we are at it anyway, lets show you how to root it again
- Simply select “root” and install Custom Recovery
Any issues or questions? Make sure to ask us in the comments bellow! (Special thanks to tapaseawar)