Smartphones are more capable than ever, effectively being able to replace many of the functions of a laptop or desktop computer for most users. However, there is still the odd task that requires the horsepower or environment of a legitimate desktop operating system, creating an issue for users who are on the go.
Google has come to the rescue with a new app for Android and Chrome that allows the user complete control not just over Chrome but over their whole computer right from their Android smartphone. The app is very easy to use, and works great, here is how you can set it up:
- First you will need to install the required apps on your computer (get it here) and smartphone (download it from the play store here)
- Open up the apps on both devices
- On your computer, you will get a PIN code
- On your mobile devices, choose the computer you want to connect to and insert the PIN code shown on the desktop app
- and voila! You are now good to go and remember: All connections are are fully secured using SSL
It works well, is incredibly intuitive, and is quite responsive. As an added bonus, it has a Ctrl-Alt-Del shortcut so you can lock or shut down your computer easily.
Overall, this is a very simple yet capable application for those who wish to access their computer’s programs from their smartphone. The application is free, and has no ads or in-app purchases to unlock additional functionality.