You might have noticed that there is currently no way of playing a Youtube video if you lock the screen on Android, but if you just want to listen to a song and safe some battery it might be a handy thing to be able to do. A XDA Developer has modified the Youtube 4.4.11 app and added this as a feature, allowing you to listen to just audio when having the screen off on android. Here is how to:
How to Play Youtube Videos with screen off on Android
- First, you will need to delete your old Youtube app
- This can be done by removing: /system/app/YouTube.apk
- If youtube is still in the app drawer, make sure to “Remove installed updates” and then “Force stop”.
- Once done, you can download the modified Youtube app here (you can download a dark themed version here)
- Run the .apk file and install the app
You can edit the advanced settings of the app by pressing your phone’s home button and tapping on “Advanced Settings”