If you want to develop an app for Windows Phone or you simply want to experiment, you will need to have a Windows Phone emulator. Microsoft provides several easy ways to install the Windows Phone SDK on your computer so you can start developing apps, here are the best Windows Phone emulators:
Using Visual Studio 2013
- If you have visual studio 2013, you should first download the WP SDK or WP7 SDK
- Open up the start menu and run CMD
- in the command line type the following: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\8.1
- Then type the following: XDE.exe -vhd “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Emulation\Images\Flash.vhd”
- Once done, you can run the emulator.
- The first boot up will be slow and can take up to 10 minutes
Windows Phone emulator on a Mac
- If you are on a Mac you will need to have the Windows OS in order to use the Windows Phone emulator.
- You can use Virtualization software (like Parallels or VMWare) to install Windows 8
- Once installed, get Visual Studio 2013 here
- Then proceed to follow the steps mentioned in “Using Visual Studio 2013” to set up your emulator
Any questions or suggestions? Make sure to let us know in the comments!
I’m a tall human being who enjoys video games, technological things and making videos for YouTube. I live in London, I’m currently a partner with TGN on YouTube and I’ve also started as an editor for AmongTech