If you want to develop an app for Windows Phone or you simply want to experiment, you will need to have a Windows Phone emulator. Microsoft provides several easy ways to install the Windows Phone SDK on your computer so you can start developing apps, here are the best Windows Phone emulators:
Using Visual Studio 2013
- If you have visual studio 2013, you should first download the WP SDK or WP7 SDK
- Open up the start menu and run CMD
- in the command line type the following: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\8.1
- Then type the following: XDE.exe -vhd “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Emulation\Images\Flash.vhd”
- Once done, you can run the emulator.
- The first boot up will be slow and can take up to 10 minutes
Windows Phone emulator on a Mac
- If you are on a Mac you will need to have the Windows OS in order to use the Windows Phone emulator.
- You can use Virtualization software (like Parallels or VMWare) to install Windows 8
- Once installed, get Visual Studio 2013 here
- Then proceed to follow the steps mentioned in “Using Visual Studio 2013” to set up your emulator
Any questions or suggestions? Make sure to let us know in the comments!