If you own an Apple TV but don’t have an iPhone you might have noticed that Apple doesn’t have a Remote app similar to the one it has available for iOS on Android, which means that it is almost impossible to set up your Android device as a remote controller for the Apple TV, but there is a solution. Lets take a look at an unofficial workaround which does allow you to use your Android device (both tablet and smartphone) as a remote.
- Required: Jailbroken Apple TV and a smartphone or tablet running Android 4.0 or above that has an infrared (IR) blaster (almost all Samsung devices have this and the HTC One’s)
- Go to the following page, download and install the App
- Once the app is installed, open it up
- Navigate to Settings > General > Remotes on your Apple TV
- Click on the “unpair Apple TV Remote” this will allow any other universal remote to work.
- Get your Android device out and you should have no trouble using the app navigation keys to navigate on your Apple TV.
The App also supports a keyboard which means that if on your Apple TV you are required to write anything, the keyboard will appear automatically.