While developers have been having lots of trouble porting AOSP based ROM’s to the Galaxy S4 but XDA user Frapeti has managed to port Cyanogenmod 12 for the Exynos Galaxy S4 variant , the i9500.
Cyanogenmod 12 is based on Android 5.0 Lollipop, this means that by installing this unofficial port you will be able to install Android 5.0 on the Galaxy S4 which will get the official OTA update in a couple of months according to Samsung. For this guide we will be installed Cyanogenmod 12 Build 4.
Install Cyanogenmod 12 Exynos Galaxy S4 variant
- First lets download CM12 for the Galaxy S4
- Download Google Apps for Android 5.0
- Put both .zip files in your device’s SD card
- Reboot into recovery and perform a system wipe and factory reset
- Go to the “Install from SDCard”
- Choose the Cyanogenmod 12 file and install it
- Once done, do the same with with the Gapps file
- Reboot your device
Since this is an unofficial port, there are several things that aren’t working like the Camera and NFC but this issue should be fixed in future updates.