November 16th, 2018
Most recent posts
How to know if you have been affected by Superfish
In the last 24 hours Superfish became the most talked about thing on the internet. It turns out that malware called Superfish Visual Discovery comes pre-installed on several manufacturer’s computers and have been for the last 2 years.
the Superfish software was installing its own self-signed Root Certificate Authority so that the Superfish software always appears as a trusted party.
As a Blog post on LastPass explains
The Superfish software would have the ability to then intercept supposedly-secure communications to websites via a man-in-the-middle attack. Researchers also confirmed that hackers on the same network, like an open WiFi hotspot at a coffee shop, can exploit Superfish to steal things like your banking login details or to read your emails.
Lets take a look how you can find out if you have been infected (the superfish software mainly affects Lenovo computer users) and how to protect your computer from future attacks.
How do i know i have been infected by Superfish virus/Malware?
Thankfully, there is a way you can easily check if you have been affected. Head over to this link. A simple message will show informing you if your computer has been infected or if it is safe. The following should appear:
How to remove Superfish malware if you have been infected
If you have been infected, don’t worry you can secure your computer in by following the steps bellow:
- Click the Windows Start button located on the left corner of your screen
- Hit the Search box
- Type: uninstall program
- Launch uninstall program
- Look for “Superfish Inc VisualDiscovery”
- Right-click on Superfish Inc VisualDiscovery
- select Uninstall
- If prompted for administrator password, enter or provide confirmation
- Once done, we have to remove the certificates.
- Click the Windows Start button
- Type certmgr.msc into the Search box
- Click the certmgr.msc Program to launch it
- If prompted for administrator password, enter the password or provide confirmation
- Click on Trusted Root Certification Authorities
- Open Certificates
- Look for certificates mentioning Superfish Inc.
- Right-click on any Superfish Inc certificates and delete
- Restart your browser and return to this page to see you are safe
Can i be infected with Superfish on a Mac?
As you might have noticed, the above guide is for PC’s running Windows. If you happen to own a Mac the Superfish virus doesn’t affect you since the malware was installed by manufacturers and Apple isn’t among the list.